One of the first things that you think about when buying a rug – other than the design – is what size to get. This can get tricky especially if you are a first-time buyer.
One of the easiest tips is to create a draft of the layout of your home, or the room(s) where you plan to put the rug(s).
Mark the spots where you want the rugs, such as the living room or under your dining room table. Also, if you have a big room, think about whether you want to use multiple rugs to compliment each other. A good way to get a vision of how one size of rug will look is to take some newspaper, arrange them in the size of the rug and place them in the area that you want.
Classic Oriental rugs come in the following “standard” sizes:
It is important to note that these are guides and you will find many rugs in between these sizes. However, these are the more common sizes.
Persian carpets come in a variety of sizes, but some regions will typically produce up to a certain size of rugs, but larger city centres also produce various dimensions, some as large as a city block. You might hear some carpet dealers use Farsi terminology when talking about sizes. These are some of the common ones:
- Tobreh (meaning, small bag) – 33 cm x 38 cm
- Poshti (meaning, pillow or cushion) – 100 cm x 60 cm
- Khourjeen (meaning, donkey bag) – 121 cm x 100 cm
- Zarcharak – 130 cm x 80 cm
- Zaronim – 150 cm x 90 cm
- Dozar – 200 cm x 135 cm
- Kennareh (meaning, runner) – this can vary in size, depending on the region, the most common size are: 300 cm x 80 cm and 400 cm x 90 cm
Here are some more tips when choosing between the different rug sizes:
- If you have a vestibule, a 150x100cm to 240x170cm rug is often appropriate. Ensure you consider your door clearances and that the door can swing open even with the rug in place.
- Most living rooms use a 240×170 to 300x200cm rug . You will need to decideif you want the rug (and how much of it) under your furniture.
- Typical rugs used in dining rooms is 300x220cm For your dining room, it is safer to go for a bigger rug. Your dining table will look awkward if the rugs runs short or if you have to get the chair up on the carpet when pushing it in.
Sharafi & Co has been in the carpet business for decades and our team is one of the most trusted in London. Call us today and get more help in choosing the rug you want for your home.