What Is The Best Way To Clean My Rug
When cleaning Persian rugs, many questions come to mind for the user.
Can they clean their handmade rugs themselves?
What is the best way to clean my rug?
Is it worth getting my rug cleaned?
Does it need to be done professionally?
What do you do if you spill something on a rug?
Quick action is essential to prevent spillage from penetrating the wool.
The first step is to use absorbent paper or a towel to blot as much of the spillage as possible. DO NOT RUB THE TOWEL ON THE CARPET. This will spread the spillage.
Mix a few drops of water or preferably sparkling water, and put on the spillage. Do not use warm water; if the colours are not fast, it will encourage colour bleed. After 10 to 15 seconds, remove the water using a spoon. Make sure you scoop from the outside of the spillage to the inside. Then blot the area and try and get as much of the spillage as possible.
If there is still a stain, then have it inspected by an expert.
Why Should I Get My Rug Professionally Cleaned
Handwoven rugs have a huge variety in terms of dyes and wool. Recognising these factors is very important to the way a carpet is washed.
Some dyes are not very fast and can run, like colourful Moroccan rugs. You can have colour bleeds all over the rug if they are not washed properly.
Also, there could be weak spots in a rug that, if not secured before the wash, will be damaged and incur repair costs.
One significant factor in cleaning rugs is to extract the dust embedded in the foundation of the carpet, which can reduce the life of your rug. This can only be done with special machines.
The best cure is always prevention.
Below are some everyday steps to prevent damage to your rugs and help keep them clean.
- Keep your oriental carpet out of direct sunlight. If the rug is placed near a window and is exposed to direct sunlight during the day, rotate the rug at least once a month. Sun exposure can cause the rug to fade.
- If you notice moths flying around, there is a big chance that your rug is infested. Hire the services of a professional carpet cleaning company experienced in antique textiles.
- Move furniture on top of the rug regularly, so they don’t create a wear pattern in one place.
- Immediately clean any spills from food or drinks. Do not let the spill soak for a long time, as it will cause damage and discolouration to the fibres. Use paper towels on top and under the rug to keep the spill from expanding.
- Use only water when cleaning an antique rug. Do not use home remedies or strong chemicals. Call a professional carpet cleaning service if you cannot remove the stain yourself.
- Always keep your rug dry.
- Regularly clean your rug. If you are using a vacuum, try to do both sides to ensure that you are removing all dust and dirt.
- Store your rug correctly. Get it professionally cleaned before putting it away. Roll it and use moth balls or cedar shavings. Avoid placing the carpet directly on the floor. This will help avoid accidental damage if anything from the shelves falls off or leaks occur. Wrap the rugs properly to prevent humidity from entering.
- Place candles or incense on a dish or decorative bowl to prevent ash or wax from falling directly on the carpet and burning it.
- Use high-quality carpet pads under your rug to protect it.
- Have your carpets cleaned and checked by a professional. This will ensure that the rug is cleaned properly and that any restoration needs can be spotted early.